Selected by Runner’s World as one of the most scenic marathons in North America, The Steamboat Marathon takes place on June 5th.
“it’s a race where every runner counts”
“The Steamboat Marathon is a unique combination of beautiful scenery and extraordinary people, which make this race fun for everyone who participates,” says Paul Sachs, the Steamboat Marathon Race Director now in his 10th year in the position.“Runners from all over the country look forward to the Steamboat Marathon races because it is still a relatively small race with a hometown feel and it’s a race where every runner counts.”
What You Need to Know
• How much elevation will I gain? The is a ‘downhill’ marathon - you will lose 1400′ over 26 miles. Got to love that! Starting elevation is 8,128′ and the finish elevation is 6,728′.
• Thinking about Boston and need to qualify? This marathon race is a qualifier for the Boston marathon.
• Is there still space? There is still space in the Marathon (it’s capped at 500 participants). The Half Marathon is full (it’s capped at 1,000 participants).
• Best places for family and friends to watch? Anywhere along Lincoln Avenue or at the finish line at the courthouse.
• Where does the Marathon begin and end? The Marathon begins s at historic Hahns Peak Village, follows a paved country road down the Elk River Valley, and finishes at the courthouse in downtown Steamboat Springs.
• Where does the Half Marathon race begin and end? The Half Marathon begins at the mid-point of the Marathon course locally known as Moon Hill at an elevation of 6,990′ and finishes at the same location as the Marathon, in downtown Steamboat Springs.
• Is there a shorter race? Yes! The 10k course for this race is a USATF Certified race course on a rolling, paved road through scenic Strawberry Park and Old Town Steamboat Springs. It starts and finishes at the courthouse in downtown Steamboat Springs at an elevation of 6,728′.
• Are there any kid friendly events? A free “fun run” is also included and open to children 5 years and older. The race is on a paved road, starting and finishing at the courthouse in downtown Steamboat Springs. The fun run will be capped at the first 200 to register. Race day registration only on the court house lawn.